Thursday, April 15, 2021

Laura Hunsaker, #RomanceGem, Has It All Covered With AMETHYST HEAT!



Good morning! As I again set out to introduce you to all my Romance Gem pals, please welcome Laura Hunsaker! Take it away, Laura!


What makes a good cover?

 

Well, that is the question, isn’t it? For as much as we’d love to say don’t judge a book by its cover, we’re all guilty of doing that. The cover is usually what catches our eye first. I bought a book that had a very Keanu Reeves in John Wick feel. I regret nothing. :)

 

When you aren’t in control of your own covers though, you’re at the mercy of your publisher. I’ve been lucky that my publisher listened to my thoughts and applied them to the cover. Although my publisher put my nickname Laurie on the cover rather than my full name. That was kind of odd, especially as my other books through them all say Laura. Add to that, the cover is about 10 years old, and since the story is mine again, I wanted something new.




 

Amethyst Heat is my free short story (it’s like 7 pages long, so it’s a true short story). The old cover is fine. But it doesn’t capture the story as much as I think my new cover does. I sent my cover designer the story and let her have free reign (she’s pretty amazing). And I love what she came up with! Her cover really encompasses the story, short as it is.

 

And you can feel free to judge this story by its new cover.




 

Blurb ~


A sweet romance set in the Highlands of Scotland.

While out riding, Meg McMurray finds herself on unfamiliar lands. Gone are the long expanses of Oklahoma prairie, and in front of her are the wild Scottish Highlands. How did she come to be there, and did Aunt Gilly's amethyst ring have anything to do with it?

M.J. note ~ (Since this is a short story, it's a short excerpt, but even in this you can see what a great story it is!)


Excerpt ~


Meg nervously licked her lips and ran her fingers through her hair. His gaze followed the movements, settling on her ring.
"Where did you get that?" his voice was rougher, deeper, than before.
Glancing down Meg saw his eyes trained on her finger. "The ring? It's been in my family for generations. I recently inherited it." Meg dropped her eyes, hiding her pain at the thought of her Aunt Gilly. The note that had come with the ring was written by Gilly's own hand. It had said that her "destiny awaited," whatever that meant.

You can download AMETHYST HEAT for free here!:

     Kindle   |   Barnes and Noble   |   Kobo   |   Google Play   |   Smashwords |  Goodreads

I've got mine!

Thank you for joining us, Laura! So what do you think? I liked the first cover but the second cover is even better!




12 comments:

  1. The second cover does catch your eye. Nice hunk. It's also easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Jan! The first one was nice, too, but the new one is excellent! Thanks for joining in the discussion today! I hope you have a fantabulous day! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jan! I agree. The font, the gold on gold..it was a little trickier to read.

      Delete
  2. What an improvement in cover design! Thank you for the gift. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Caroline! I agree! The second is much sharper! Have a great rest of your day and--yipee!--weekend!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely do like the second cover better, but I like the first one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. That's kind of what makes it interesting. If you go from an ick cover to a good cover, it's obvious. But with this one I can't quite put into words why it works better. It's fresher, sharper, more "modern" but I can't exactly tell you why. Thanks for joining in the conversation, Kara! Have a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the all gold was very 2010. A lot of Highlander covers coming out were all orange, or all green, etc. This is as you said, fresher. I like how you put it!:)

      Delete
  5. Great covers. You did hit the jackpot with those.

    ReplyDelete